Hex Tank Update 1

Here's an update for 6/11/17 on the Hex Tank!



Vallisneria 

The Vallisneria has sent out many runners and I hope will soon carpet the entire tank! Besides the T5 bulb, I dose the tank once a week with Easy Green. There is no additional nutrients in substrate, just crushed coral

SNAILS!!!

I recently added 10+ Malaysian Trumpet Snails that I ordered on eBay. This addition is to enhance my clean-up crew.

Filtration 

I've been running an Aquaclear 50 on my dad's tank to seed it with bacteria. In the meantime, I've just had a sponge filter going in the Hex. Since there is almost no biological load the sponge was more that sufficient. However, the sponge didn't scrub the water to the clarity I like and I also plan to be adding Guppies in the near future. Thus the Aquaclear I feel will be more suited to the task.

This isn't just a stock Aquclear either. After watching Cory's video on "Hot Rodding" aquarium filters I took his advice and added the following:
  • Added Intake Sponge for additional bacteria habitat with the benefit of keeping the actually filter cleaner longer.

  • The intake tube that comes from stock from Aquclear was way too short for my tank. I used a piece of clear tubing to get my intake spnge as close to the substate as possible. Take close look at the left side of the photo above.


Cory Doras

The Corys are starting to realize they now have competition for food, and any neglected nibbles will be devoured by the snails. They have become more interested and playful with the addition of live. Can't wait to get the Guppies in there with them!

Comments